teal sweater day three

February 19, 2011

teal sweater day two

February 18, 2011

teal sweater day one

February 17, 2011

 

 

another dress

February 13, 2011

I am on a sewing roll. It probably won’t be long before I have way more dresses than I know what to do with…like socks, of which I have more than fit in my drawer.

I went to Iowa City, and bought another pattern and fabric for a dress.  This time it is definitely a summer dress. I won’t be able to wear it for a while, but I can keep it tucked away for fairer weather. It is a simple ‘sack’ dress. The pattern call it the ‘socialite dress’ but I don’t buy that…

The front and back both have gathers for the shaping, with a front ‘v’ and a circle in the back. The arm holes are a little tight, and if I were to make the pattern again I would definitely make them bigger.

I found the fabric by holding it up to my lap and imagining looking down on it as a dress. When I held one up that worked, I was set. This is my new technique. Also, to stay away from little prints, which I love, but don’t really work for me…

The best thing about this dress is that it has pockets. Two of them.

super bird

February 7, 2011

You might not be aware of it, but my brother is actually a bit of a super hero. The worn corduroys, spectacles, calculator, divided binder, engineering thing…quite the disguise.

Even super heroes need socks. These socks are knit to fit the bill, with super strong Jawoll sock yarn. A yarn that is reinforced with nylon and acrylic, and machine washable and dryable…because super heroes don’t always have the time to let things air dry.

The legs and tops of the feet are knit in k2 p2 ribbing, to stay nice and snug while in use. 68 stitches, knit on size 1 needles.

The contrasting red heel is knit with the addition of reinforcement yarn, which comes with every package of Jawoll.

These socks are custom engineered to fit, and certain to warm the feet of super bird (most likely flying your way sometime soon…).

I had a bit of yarn leftover from the scarf that I made yesterday, and looked online for patterns for it. I found this free pattern and just had to make it! I have seen quite a few patterns with this owl, or a variation of it, and they are just cute!

There is an adult version and child version. I made the larger one, using the cocoon yarn that I had left over. The owl pattern is quite simple. It is a series of cables, a few knits and purls, and not much else. You basically repeat the same three pattern rows in different arrangements.

I am going to find some buttons to put on the purls for eyes, when I get around to it…

The owls are pretty cute, hanging out around the hat. The pattern is pretty subtle, and I think that the eyes will bring out the owl-ness a little more!

I went home early from work yesterday, and was busy tending to the fires (three of them), baking potatoes, and knitting a braided sort of scarf pelt. I toyed with the idea of knitting strips and braiding them together, but decided on making a sort of cable braid. I made it as if there were 5 strands woven together, and started with 3 stitches in each strand. As I continued, I added stitches to each strand, and rows between the cables.

Once I made it about half as long as I wanted, 11 stitches in each strand, and about 18 rows between cables, I started to decrease, in approximately the same manner that I increased. I wasn’t exact, and one end is a bit shorter than the other.

The increase was more pronounced at the beginning and end, as I was increasing at the cable crossings and they were coloser together. This seemed to be a good measure for increase though. Because I used only 5 strands for the cable, the scarf wasn’t able to grow quite as wide as I was imagining. I am thinking that the same design would work well with 7 or 9 strands too.


At the edges, I cast on 7 stitches, and knit in stockinette stitch for a few rows. I folded under and sewed these edges (below), as I wasn’t sure what else to do…too bad I don’t have some animal paws to sew on. Then it would really feel like a pelt..

I used Rowan Cocoon, and started the very beginning with size 10 needles. I quickly moved to 10.5s for a few rows, and then settled on 11s for the majority of the project. I wanted the finished material to be a little bit softer, not too stiff. Before blocking the scarf was a little bit stiff, but after blocking, the material developed a lovely drape.

My only problems with the scarf were the huge holes created at the cable cross overs. I am not sure what, if anything I could have done to improve this. Will research!

The finished scarf is long enough to wrap around my neck about 2 times, and the ends tuck in nicely. And it is warm, soft and cozy!